Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Prayer

9:53 PM, July 27, Mansilla de las Mulas, 20 km from Leon, Albergue Privado

At this beautiful 16th Century house-turned-albergue yesterday, I became a part of a very cool prayer experience. No, I'm not talking about the Greek Orthodox mass I attended that was presented entirely in Italian (strange, interesting, and unintelligible); I'm talking about the small baskets in the stairwell.

Halfway up an old wooden staircase was a table with seven small baskets marked with seven world languages. Upon asking what the baskets were, I was told that guests can leave a prayer on a small sheet of paper and that guests can also take someone else's prayer and deliver it to Santiago as though it was their own.

From the English bin, I took out a prayer and I left one of my own.

At this time I'm going to choose not to share my prayers with the world, however I do want to share the prayer I took:

"I pray that I find my partner."

This prayer is now in my pocket and will remain there until I arrive in Santiago wherein I will deliver the prayer at the cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment